[Yaesu] FT-920 Production Bugs?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920 Production Bugs?
From: allanws@werewolf.net (Allan W. Schlaugat)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:13:12 GMT
I hope to purchase a FT-920 soon. I have heard comments from locals
who have the 920 experiencing problems with the radio. These are:

>1. Not full 100 watts out on all bands.( about 90 to 100)
>
>2. Antenna tuner when tuned, there is less power out than out of the circuit.
>
>3. The display comes up a bit dim and takes about 5 minutes to full.
>
>4. The audio on the digital voice recorder sucks.

Can anyone confirm whether these problems have been fixed in later
production runs of the FT-920? The hams who are experiencing these
problems purchased the radio in October 97 and can be verified in more
than one radio. The QST reviews made no mention of these problems
(with the exception of IMD products).

On a related topic, can anyone compare the FT-920 with the rig it is
replacing, the FT-990? Is the 920 worthy being called a 'upgrade' to
the 990 in RX and features?

Thanks!   73   Al

--
Allan W. Schlaugat            Albertville, WI  USA
            allanws@werewolf.net