[Yaesu] FT-920 Production Bugs?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920 Production Bugs?
From: w8eh@infinet.com (Ernie Howard)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:54:25 -0500
Hi Allan,

I have one of the later 920's.  Got it after Christmas.

I have noticed the power out was only slightly less than 100watts
at times. I think the meter lags quite a bit on ssb.

The antenna tuner is my only 'problem' that Yaesu says isn't a
problem.  It works fine when using near resonate antennas.  When I am
on 160, using my vertical the swr can get high. Yaesu decided that
the tuner shouldn't memorize settings if the SWR on the antenna
is higher than 3:1.  So it won't retain the tuning settings for all
the areas that I operate on 160.  Otherwise it performs as I would
expect it to.  I've not noticed lower output when the tuner is on.
It seems to tune in a reasonable amount of time.

Never noticed a display problem.

I've played with the digital voice recorder, even worked one
of the ssb contests with it, never talking live. I use a Heil
headset with the HC-5 element, I think my audio shaping is set
for 3, maybe 4.  I've experimented with the DVR on 6 FM and
most of the guys could never tell the difference between live
and recorded.  Depending upon the microphone you use, you could
possibly see different results between live and recorded.

73 Ernie W8EH