[Yaesu] FT-920 Production Bugs?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920 Production Bugs?
From: webmaster@rossiya.net (Russian Internet Network)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:12:50 +0000
At 08:13 AM 3/20/98 GMT, >Allan W. Schlaugat            Albertville, WI
USA wrote:
>I hope to purchase a FT-920 soon. I have heard comments from locals
>who have the 920 experiencing problems with the radio. These are:
>
>>1. Not full 100 watts out on all bands.( about 90 to 100)

Never have experienced anything like that, always measures right at 100w

>>2. Antenna tuner when tuned, there is less power out than out of the
circuit.

I have noticed this , but only on one band, 12 meters--I have emailed Yaesu
about this, they have said a fix is being looked at. In any case, it drops
to around 90-95w on 12m, is fine on the rest of the bands. It is a minor
problem that I myself am not real concerned about--others, of course, may
look at this differently.

>>3. The display comes up a bit dim and takes about 5 minutes to full.
Never seen this either--I use an Astron SS-25 power suppy, have never had a
problem like this.

>>4. The audio on the digital voice recorder sucks.
I have never had a 'you're audio sucks' report when using the DVR--although
I will admit that the audio on the DVR & the rig in general sounds a lot
better when using the mic eq presets 3 & 4. I use both a Heil headset with
the HC-5 element & the Yaesu MD-100 desk mic, feedback is generally the
same but the audiophiles out that have listened to me on the 920 generally
prefer the sound of the MD-100. When using the DVR, although the record
level is not adjustable, you CAN experiment with the sound by changing the
4 eq presets, or no eq at all.

>Can anyone confirm whether these problems have been fixed in later
>production runs of the FT-920? The hams who are experiencing these
>problems purchased the radio in October 97 and can be verified in more
>than one radio. The QST reviews made no mention of these problems
>(with the exception of IMD products).

My serial # is 7F020298.

Sean Warner K0XQ
k0xq@amsat.org