[Yaesu] FT-980 "FLAKY"

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-980 "FLAKY"
From: wa3gin@erols.com (Dave Jordan)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:23:46 -0400

Hi Folks,

The saga continues...as you will remember my buddy's 980 developed a
mind of it's own and the display went nuts....I replaced the CPU and
Display
chips. The 980 started to work again but the LEDs for the Clarifier and
Tab
set didn't lite. Well that was last night. This morning I turn on the
980 and
now the Clarifier and Tab set LEDs function normally (they lite when the
feature
is selected). The functions worked yesterday but the LEDs didn't
indicate...
the lamp on the power meter also was erratic prior to the IC swap-out.
Since the change the lamp on the meter has worked every time the rig is
powered up.
I ponder now if there is any connection between the lamp in the power
meter
and the Clarifier/Tab LEDs?? Is there a common relay, connector or power
wire
that feeds these circuits.

The last final "?" has to do with the ALC meter.  In transmit mode, on
occasion
the meter will indicate a steady state condition, as if someone was
holding the key down.
The meter needle rises to the third segment of the ALC scale and just
sits
there...if I modulate with audio it will deflect further but it never
drops to the left
pin on the meter (zero).  I've never used an 980 before so I don't know
if this is
normal.  I have a watt meter in line to a 50 ohm dummy load and see no
indication of output...so what is this meter trying to tell me???

As before I've copied Yaesu technical support. They've been helpful so
far
but the proof of the pudding is going to be the resolution to these
"flaky"
last few bugs.

HAVE FUN,
dave