Re: [Yaesu] FT890 strange behavior

To: kz8e@wt.net, w2iy@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT890 strange behavior
From: Michael Tortorella <w2iy@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:50:33 -0500 (CDT)
Thanks to everyone who offered help and suggestions. Here's what I have
concluded so far. the problem is definitely RF getting into the PS. It comes
and goes depending on (1)where the PS is located relative to the radio and
(2)which band I am operating on. The antenna system is a short center-fed
vertical without radials (for those who remember, it's a Mini-Products C-4,
possibly the last one on the air anywhere!) fed with 50-ohm coax.
Unfortunately, I am currently on vacation and my options are somewhat limited
so I think for now I will just fool around with PS placement. When I get home I
can take more serious steps along the lines suggested (probably ditch the PS
first of all, folks on this list are not the only ones who are not fans of
Astron).

Not exactly a pileup-busting setup, but I have worked a couple new ones this
week and I am having fun learning the computer control/automatic logging
software which I had never used before (still a bunch of boatanchors at home).
i do have to say the 890 and built-in antenna tuner has handled the short
vertical very well, it even loads up OK on 40 meters which the antenna specs do
not support.

Thanks again to everyone, it's always a pleasure to be associated with a fine
bunch of folks.

73
Mike