Re: [Yaesu] FT890 strange behavior

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT890 strange behavior
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:18:24 -0400

Mike,

the problem is definitely RF getting into the PS. It comes and goes
depending on (1)where the PS is located relative to the radio and
(2)which band I am operating on.

This is a textbook description of a common mode problem.  The shield
of your coax is becoming part of the antenna system - antenna currents
exist on the *outside* of the shield and the RF voltage at the power
supply changes based on frequency and placement (in other words the
electrical distance of the feedline and connecting cables from the
power supply to the feedpoint of the antenna.

The antenna system is a short center-fed vertical without radials
(for those who remember, it's a Mini-Products C-4, possibly the last
one on the air anywhere!) fed with 50-ohm coax.

Verticals - particularly the soo called "ground independent" verticals
- have significantly unbalanced feeds and are very prone to "current
on the shield" or common mode problems.  You can probably fix your
issue by winding 8 to 10 turns of the rig's power cord through a
2" OD 31 mix toroid core but that would likely only move the issue
to a different part of your station (rig, computer, etc.) and another
set of frequencies.  Again, the best "fix" is to install a good RF
ground where the feedline enters the shack and install common mode
chokes at the antenna and between the shack and entry ground.  The
K9YC (Audio Systems Group) information is some of the best there is
for dealing with these issues.

I really do not believe the problem is your power supply - the Astron
supplies (particularly the old linear supplies) are some of the most
reliable there are once you understand the maintenance issues (keeping
connections tight, etc.).  $25 worth of ferrite is far less expensive
than a $250 replacement power supply that is likely to be impacted by
the same RF issues but in a different way.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV