Re: [Amps] DVM recomendation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] DVM recomendation
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 08:46:16 +0100
R. Measures wrote:

G3RZP had written:
If you are looking to do measurements round an amplifier when there's RF
around, get an analogue meter!

I haven't found a digital voltmeter yet that behaves with a lot of RF
around.

ð Peter -- My Fluke DMM does OK with a bypass C on a double-banana plug inserted between the DMM and the test leads. However, I would not use a digital meter in a tetrode-with-handles amplifier project.

RF immunity is a lottery. You don't always get what you pay for... but sometimes you can also get lucky.

I was reminded of this recently when working on someone's large two-holer (no handles, but definitely two heavy handfuls) that uses my Tetrode Boards. His whole shack was crawling with RF, but my two cheap DMMs measuring the grid and screen voltages both sat there serene. Just lucky for once, I guess.

Hopefully I've persuaded him that the "classic ham radio" shack layout - open-wire feeder all the way into the shack, breadboard ATU and unshielded amplifier - is NOT suitable or safe at these power levels!

-- 73 from Ian G3SEK

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards