RFI

[RFI] Noise Canceller vs DSP filter

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Noise Canceller vs DSP filter
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:29:05 -0700 (PDT)
I am new to this reflector, so please forgive me if
this topic has been covered recently.  I have a decent
amount of power line noise at my QTH-S6 or so most of
the time.  Trying to work with the power company, and
have found a couple of suspect power poles, but have
not had success in fixing anything yet.

I began to solve the problem by getting a Yaesu
FT100D.  The NB is incredible, as QST stated in their
review, and it helps rid the noise on several bands,
mainly 20-10 meters.  Doesn't help much on 30 and
below, where I am still getting S5 noise.  So I bought
a used MFJ 1026 noise canceller and tried it out with
different antenna configurations.  Did not do any
good.   Luckily it had a return policy, so it is being
returned.

Has anyone had any luck using different DSP filters to
remove power line noise-like the TImewave 599+ or
anything like that.  What works, what doesn't?  ANd
should I just expect a S5 noise level on the low bands
due to atmospheric noise?  It seems to me I don't
remember it being that bad in the past.

73s John NE0P