RFI

[RFI] Noise Canceller vs DSP filter

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Noise Canceller vs DSP filter
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:28:33 +0000
This situation stinks; believe me I know, I've been there before.  (And I'll
probably be there again so I'm knocking on wood a lot these days.)  First,
if you have not done this already, be sure the noise isn't coming from your
own place.   A fast way to do this is hook the 100D up to a car battery,
turn it on with the antenna connected just like when you operate, then go to
your breaker panel and kill all the ac to your house.  If the noise was
there and now it's gone you are lucky--it's domestic.  If you still have it
then you have to df it outside.  I realize you said you got it down to some
poles but the bad news is that you can have more than one source.  Besides
outside, I found my razor charger, dimmers and a touch lamp were
contributing problems at my qth.
The lower you go in frequency the less the distance between your ant. and
the lines has a preventive effect.  Also, at lower frequencies, you start
rxing noise standing waves on the power lines.  This means the "sources"
multiply and those cancelling boxes quit working.  Also, you might simply
have more than one thing arcing.  The list archive has a bunch of past posts
on finding noise and working with power companies.  I suggest you search it
at www.contesting.com  The atmospheric noise you have might be due to the
kind of antenna you have, a vertical for example.  Perhaps you can try some
sort of horiz. antenna such as a loop.  That might cut the noise level down.
  You could try using it as a rx antenna and tx with the vertical (if that's
what ur using) to get a lower angle of radiation on tx.

Everyone:
I'm getting periodic bursts of line noise now--when it's on it consists of a
burst of a few seconds with about 20 seconds of silence.  I'm thinking a
neighbor has an electric blanket or fish tank heater turned on--something
controlled by a thermostat.  Can't think of any other possibilities.  It
hasn't been real bad so I'm living with it for now.

73,

Rob
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com