RFI

RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL

To: <eedwards@tconl.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL
From: "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:24:30 -0400
If an electric utility is the customer's ISP, there's no reduction in
the cost of whatever on-premises hardware is required to provide
real-time load optimization. Either the customer is persuaded to pay for
this hardware as a way to buy down electricity rates, or the utility
pays as a way to lower its peak load. If the utility is trying to get
into the ISP business with BPL, then free hardware for real-time load
optimation could certainly be used as a promotional vehicle, but its
just one of many ways to spend the promotional dollars required to sell
an undifferented product against dominant, entrenched competitors.

Lets hope it never gets this far, but could a utility offering BPL and
reduced electricity rates to users of its real-time load optimization
hardware refuse to offer that hardware (and reduced electricity rates)
to a power customer who insisted on sticking with cable or DSL rather
than switching to the utility's BPL-based internet service? I'm assuming
that cable/DSL would provide the necessary connectivity between the
subscriber's on-premises hardware and the utilities load monitoring
equipment. While there are ways to design the system so this isn't the
case, I see no technical justification for doing so; we're not talking
about optimizing the power cycle-by-cycle. Cable/DSL competitors would
scream "unfair competition", I suspect, and power utility regulators
would have a new problem.

My point here is that while real-time load optimization is a good idea,
its hard to see how it generates differential advantage for BPL
providers.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ