RFI

Re: [RFI] Blackberry interference with conference room audio systems

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, "Dan Richardson" <k6mhe@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Blackberry interference with conference room audio systems
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:47:33 -0600
I don't think Ed,  K0iL wants to just exclude anyone, but
when an inquiry comes in that says:

    "We have been ... having a interference problem in
     ou[r] Videoconferencing rooms and on Telcons
     through out the country"

from a guy ostensibly at Boeing, one wonders if RFI 'cures'
aren't being sought __on the gratis__ but at the expense of
the expertise on the list (most likely, most innocently,
and perhaps as a result of his first web search?).

I have no trouble receiving such inquiries, but they should
be directed, appropriately and courtously, to those who
can do the most good at arriving at a solution; the vendors
of such RFI sensitive products.

I'll bet that Boeing employs dozens - if not hundreds - of
engineers more than capable of recommending a corrective
course of action too, like dozens (if not hundreds) of us are
capable of doing; but they already have personnel,
ostensibly, on the payroll and closer to the problem, who
could do this ...

Having said that, I, too, like to hear about various problems,
in different areas involving RFI.

The problems involving some of these technologies relates to
how 1) Blackberries, 2) Nextel and 3) cell phones handle
'power levels' during a) registrations,  b) 'messaging' and
c) 'paging' responses, d) call setup or access and e) initial
power level during voice comms;

During my stint with PageMart (now Weblink Wireless) all
subscriber units transmitted with the same power level,
about 1 Watt, in the 900 MHz area.

During another stint with MetroCel Cellular (which became
ATTWS) several the parameters we specified included all
of those elucidated above (a through e);  perhaps one or
more of these 'carriers' has run a 'switch' (MTSO or NOC)
script and moved all PLs (power levels) to their maximum
values versus from previously values specified by engineering.

Hey - just adding to the 'knowledge base' here on the list ...

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /