RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding

To: "'Jim P'" <jvpoll@dallas.net>,"'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding
From: "Ed -K0iL" <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:50:00 -0600
The FM broadcast wouldn't be affect on an FM radio since noise is
"Amplitude" in nature.  FM rcvrs won't pick them up (usually, although some
rcvrs may).

Most powerline noise sources, when you are in the neighborhood, do emit into
VHF high-band real nice and sometimes even lower UHF portion locally if you
have a sensitive enough rcvr at those freqs.  I am not referring to ham
bands here, just generic VHF (30-300Mhz) & UHF (300-3000).  At work we use
somewhere around 250-300Mhz and usually have to start turning the gain down
when we get it down to the last couple of poles to figure out which one it
is.  Then we switch to ultrasonic to confirm the results and determine which
hardware is the offender.

73, de ed -K0iL