RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding

To: "Ed -K0iL" <eedwards@tconl.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:41:13 -0600
Sorry to have been so pedantic, Ed.

In my drive to be thorough, complete, cover every aspect
including supplying the easiest answer I could give ("seek
out and make use of a portable SW radio utilizing a
ferrite loopstick on/near the band of interest") on the
subject (either brought up by me or others) I may have
crossed over into some covering some areas too deeply
thereby boring some and treading on the sacred ground of
others ... and here I go again, being pedantic (again!) and
I apologize.

Ed, I would stack up up my RFI tracking abilities
with the best, from LW through 1 GHz, incl. cellular,
AM broadcast;  I've got my fair share of 'trophies'
hanging on the wall, both professionally and as a
ham. I also have one or two "white whales" that
have eluded me: notably, a case where I think a
secondary street light 120V source is 'modulating' (as
opposed to directly generating RF energy) the
AM broadcast RF field along a busy thorougfare
thereby imposing a distinct AM hum on any received
AM stations near where I drive daily ... and here I go,
being pedantic again, sorry.

I think, in the subject matter I covered, that I was
striving to cover several important subjects or topics
that I have found important in tracking down noise
sources, some subject areas that I have not seen
treated elsewhere including this list -

- such as using calibrated WB (wide band) peak-reading
TV field strength meters to DF noisesources (see, most
of the radios used in AM mode are average reading,
not peak reading, on account of the time constant
in the AGC used in the IF. Contrast this with the
inherent 'peak reading' of the old Stoddart RFI receivers
which had a quasi peak-reading meter function as well
as a comparator function where real 'peak' strengths
could be determined)  ... there I go again, being thorough
and pedantic; pls forgive me.

Such concepts as 'correlation', (making mental note
of the audible sound charactersitics b/c hauling around
a scope or S/A is not feasable for most hams) of a
particular noise source that is active in spectrum
range of concern or effect into a higher, more easily
DF 'd band, specifically determining such factors as
"is the noise source observable in the VHF/UHF area
where I can use a unidirectional beam" as opposed
to doing it the hard way on the band of affectation has
been a specific point that I've stressed (I've even riggged
up portable 10 M dipoles to DF specific noise sources
that affected that band alone) ... hmmm, I've returned to
pedantics again, pls indulge a slighty pudgy old pedantic
ham one more time.

I've recently gone back to look at Maxwell's Equations
again, as they relate to radiation, propagation, since
he seems to have been the first one to quantify and
codify a number of the laws of magnetic and electric
field theory, some of which can even be used to
understand and explain the action of the various power
line noise sources we/some of us encounter.

On closing, If you ever wish to discuss a specific area of
noise, DFing, transmitter hunting et al off-list, my e-mail
box is always open; I may be delayed in responding
owing to work or personal schedules, but eventually
I will make the effort to respond.

Yours pedantically in the hobby,

Jim P  -- WB5WPA --