RFI

Re: [RFI] Horrific Ugly Noise Found and stopped...

To: "Larry Parker" <ve3edy@cogeco.ca>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Horrific Ugly Noise Found and stopped...
From: "Diane & Edward Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 07:48:10 -0400
Hi Larry,

Are those undercounter lamps the same type that have a master "touch-button"
that controls their intensity in three steps...?

If so, fear not: they are just as susceptible to the presence of RF, as they
are in generating RFI. Case in point: my son installed a system of
undercounter lights here of that type awhile back, & every time they were
on, I experienced the worst noise possible on all the HF bands. Conversely,
however, every time I keyed the rig, the lamps would sequentially go "on" &
commence their intensity steps in sync with each CW character I sent!

They are pure, unadulterated TRASH, bar none, and have absolutely no
business being on the market.

My solution here? Initiatally, I'd physically unplug the ^%%#$%^ things
whenever I'd go on the air. Finally the integral small power supply
crapped-out on the things, & I now simply plug the lights in manually to
make them work---no more two-way RFI that way.

But they go through those unique & EXPENSIVE mini-bulbs like there's no
to-morrow...as I said earlier, they may be nice-looking when installed &
working, but the bottom line is they're still TRASH, & should rightfully be
banned.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ