RFI

Re: [RFI] MFJ-856 oddity

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] MFJ-856 oddity
From: "RFI Services' Michael Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 08:07:45 -0400
I have an 856 and have not experienced this issue.
Never stand under the power line with the receiver. The antenna for the
noise will be over the antenna for the receiver and the yagi will be like a
ball of aluminum instead of a well-designed directional antenna.
When looking at signal levels from utility poles remember the antenna for
the noise is the poles. Maintain equal distance from the "Two" poles you are
comparing. Don't stand under the power line while performing this RF level
test or the power line and every  other wire will become the antenna for the
noises.
Maintain equal distances between 2 poles and as close to the same distance
away from being under the wires. In the search for power line noise make
your measurements a comparison between two poles and reduce your gain until
you can easily determine which of the two poles has the highest signal from
the arcing source. If the higher signal is from the pole to the left, the
move to the left between the next two poles and repeat the process.
Most importantly is to tell your power company to call me! I had to throw
that in there.

One thing I did to my receiver, and I really don't know if it made a
difference, was I lined the inside with aluminum foil tape to help shield
it. It just made sense to do this due to the fields.

I just tried out a new antenna for DFing power line noise and I can't
believe how affective it is. It's made by a company called Telonics and it
looks like 4 quarter wave rubber duck antennas on a boom. They refer to it
as an H design antenna (for some reason). I have never purchased an antenna
that performed as well without modification. I'm in the field and don't have
the model number with me but it will soon be on my web site. If you call
them ask for Phil and tell him I sent you. He'll know the antenna. They are
designing one for me that is centered at 143MHz. This allows max gain on a
frequency. that won't have traffic.
Best wishes,
Michael C. Martin
RFI Services