RFI

Re: [RFI] ISOBAR

To: svetanoff@earthlink.net, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ISOBAR
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:43:16 -0400
Hi Dale - Yes, I do disconnect at the point of entry to the shack, and no, there was no evidence of scorching on the roof.

I was in the shack when the hit occurred, and it was very loud and seemingly close - I'm not sure but suspect that some share of the strike current arced across the bulkhead connectors on my panel, something I have seen before with nearby strikes. However, nothing was visibly damaged.

Everything active on the tower - two rotators, an antenna relay box, and a Stackmatch - was damaged, though not vaporized. I suppose this means that the tower's grounding took much of the energy. I thought at the time that the hit was on my F12 40m yagi, because one of its loading wires was broken, but it could have been on the mast a couple of feet above it. I bet it gave the long-time-resident wasps in the mast a headache!

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000