RFI

Re: [RFI] ISOBAR

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ISOBAR
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:39:02 -0400
On 9/18/2012 10:46 AM, Dale Svetanoff wrote:
Pete,

Two questions:  1) That 40 feet of bare #2 wire between the entrance panel
and power line ground - I assume it is run outside, and if so, how many
ground rods are on it?  2) Does the wire provide all of the grounding for
the entrance panel, or do you have one or more ground rods tied to the
panel?

This brings up a number of thoughts and questions.
Around here, code requires the ground from the panel AND meter are relatively short. I don't remember the required minimum distance but IIRC it's less than 8 or 12 feet and if additional rods are required they must be within that distance. Even with our soil which is wet most of the year 3 ground rods are required. I had to put in 5/8 X 8, however the required entrance rods are skinny 3/8 X 8.

While I understand and agree with your comment about non-ideal
installations, I think the point has to be made that trying to accomplish
as good of an installation as possible should be a prime goal of every
radio installation design.  The two most important factors, in ANY case,
are: A) Keep the lightning current on the outside of your
shack/house/vehicle;

Induced voltage may be higher inside the house than out if a strike is close and on the side opposite the entrance panel. But hopefully all runs are the same length and voltages rise together.

 B) Design for as low an impedance as possible between
the entrance panel and earth ground and between tower (or antenna support)
and ground.  Naturally, net Z will be the total of Xsub-L + wire resistance
+ bonding resistance + earth coupling resistance.  Net Z should be figured
for frequencies in the range of about 100 kHz to 10 MHz, the main spectral
distribution of lightning energy.  (Yes, it extends upwards to nearly 100
MHz, but at greatly reduced energy levels.)

Here they "specify" the grounding and it's nowhere near what I'd use. It has to be a #6 green insulated wire and it must be continuous which means scraping insulation, yet they use mechanical connections which are usually loose enough to just lift off the rods after a year or two. OTOH you can add additional wires of larger size and there is an additional ground out at the power pole.

But when looking at total Impedance and rise times, with the proper conditions you can have far more voltage induced into the wiring in the house than comes into the panel under some conditions.

The goal is not only grounding, but wiring in such a fashion that all equipment connections will rise at close to the same rate, to the same potentials. The outlets in a room should be on the same circuit, or parallel circuits where the wiring follows the same path with the goal of all connections rise and fall together. IE if you have an internet connection to the rigs or to the computer that connects to the rigs and a phone line they all are the same length and follow the same path after entering the home through a grounded panel.

With older homes wiring is often "daisy chained" from room to room. Often where the wiring runs for a particular circuit is a mystery. Using my house as an example, I discovered that the outlets on the S side of my den where the computers connect, roughly follows a path from the panel, up through the wall and over the ceiling to the living room. Then down the wall to an outlet, back up and over about 12 feed where it descends to another outlet. Some where "up there" is a junction box where it feeds two outlets on the West wall and also goes to the back bedroom on the West side of the house. From there it goes into the bathroom to a switch box with 3 switches and feeds the overhead fan and lights. How it gets to the outlets in the den I don't know but the den is on the N side of the bathroom. Every thing else in the den is fed with relatively short, direct runs from the panel including the phone and cable/internet. IE it's about the worst cable routing I could get if I did it on purpose. With all those connections, plugging in a small canister type vacuum cleaner will dump all the computers so there has to be a poor connection in there "some where".

I have an electrician coming this week to remedy the mystery path into 3 circuits that will be a short as possible. Were I 10 years younger I'd do the job myself.

Often we don't have a choice such as here the coax cables (TV and ham), and rotator cables enter through a common, grounded bulkhead at the back of the house while the cable and telephone come in with the power at the front of the house. Now the entrance panel and the bulkhead are connected with a common #2 ground wire. Unfortunately the house ground and bulkhead are almost 30 feet apart. The ground tie does parallel the feeds to the den so the rise time better known as Dv/Dt(voltage/time) can lead to substantial differences for strikes with rapid rise times.

I agree that just because what we have is less than ideal we still should strive to put in the best system possible within our constraints.

73

Roger (K8RI)

The latter is essential during the strike because of the huge currents
during a strike.  Since all of the station equipment is tied (bonded) to
the one ground system (or should be), the lower the net Z to ground means
the less voltage developed differentially between grounded connections and
power feeds, antenna inputs, and so forth.  (This is in addition to the
common mode induced currents from a strike.)    Keeping the lightning
current on the outside of the building is key to minimizing what I call the
"Kingsford Effect" (conversion of a building into a pile of charcoal) and
is usually handled well by a good entrance panel, well-grounded, and
equipped with protective devices for each and every I/O line used in the
station.  I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of that approach.

73,
Dale Svetanoff, WA9ENA
Sr EMC Engineer
E-N-A Systems, LLC
Specializing in shielding applications, system grounding, and lightning
protection