RFI

Re: [RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:28:17 -0800
I am still waiting on getting the house connection refit for dual pair
VDSL2 but I have packed the spec-an and a few radios to work.

>From what I can tell the situation is not much different than
ADSL/ADSL2, there are generally alot more issues with RF getting into
the DSL than the other way around.

I have found plenty of "DSL" noise sources...  Switching power supplies,
and digital noise from the modems themselves...conducted common mode
noise over cabling/etc...

I have never seen RF interferance from the DSL signal itself unless the
cable pairs were so poor/impalanced/other than they were barely
functional for DSL (cable pairs that made a better antenna than signal
carrier).

The DSL signals are comparatively and depend on the twisted pair copper
acting as a transmission line.  All the same stuff that would tend to
make them /leak/ would tend to cause terrible performance issues with
the service as well.