RFI

Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 20:43:41 -0400
Hi Pete,

There is some truth around car AM radios being a poor choice.  I was
experiencing S9 noise on 160 meters that turned out to be 1.07 miles away
and my old 1976 Saturn Wagon AM radio could hear the noise over .75 miles
away and it allowed me to get within a short distance from the source and I
told the owners of the property to just tune to 1710 and they would easily
hear it too.  Guess what, they could not hear the interference with their
modem car AM radio whereas the interference was blowing away my car radio
with both cars sitting next to each other right by the arcing power pole.

I suspect a lot of the newer car radios have excellent pulse noise
reduction.  My old Kenwood TS180s noise blanket kills power line noise
too(except during contests when the band is loaded with strong signals).

P.S.  My Saturn turned over 250,000 miles last week, and still going strong
including it's old AM radio that is great for power line noise detection.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)