RFI

Re: [RFI] Auto quieting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Auto quieting
From: CR <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:52:28 -0400
On 10/11/2015 8:51 AM, Howard Lester wrote:
What am I missing here? Zip line is not coaxial; it is "balanced" line and
requires a transmatch. With a simple transmatch you get the SWR down to 1:1
and you're all set.   ?

Paralleled Zipcord could give a good match. However, an antenna tuner/transmatch (e.g: http://www.zgitaly.it/italiano/area.asp?sez=5&id=32) doesn't compensate for loss in the feed line.

Loss in the feedline can also reduce SWR due to mismatch _*at the load*_. 100 feet of RG58 *[at 146 MHz]* has an SWR no worse than 1.7:1 no matter WHAT it is connected to, shorted or open; half the power is lost traveling outward, and half the reflected power is lost coming back. http://www.hamradio.me/antennas/swr-vs-return-loss.html

We now return you to your scheduled topics.

Cortland
KA5S