RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI via Florescent Lights

To: Robert Nobis <n7rjn@nobis.net>, Mike & Becca Krzystyniak <k9mk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI via Florescent Lights
From: Mike - KM0T <scsueepe@mtcnet.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 03:20:41 +0000 (UTC)
Mike, you will probably never get the RFI suppressed from those high freq
ballasts.   Replace the ballasts with 120V only rated ballasts that have a
label on them that says for 'residential use'.  Those are typically quiet RFI
wise.  The ones you have are probably commercial fixtures with a dual voltage
ballasts where they can take multiple input voltages.  Impossible to fix from
my experience.
Short of replacing the fixtures with residential grade shop lights (which
should have 120v residential ballasts in them) changing out the ballasts is all
you can do.
I always open the box at the store and take the covers off the fixtures to look
at the ballasts before I buy them.  Residential use should be marked on the box
and on the ballast.
73 and good luck.
Mike King - KM0T(Professional electrical engineer, PE.  Involved in lighting
specification and consulting for the building construction market)
Sent from my iPad Pro