RFI

[RFI] RFI via Florescent Lights

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI via Florescent Lights
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 21:16:12 +0000
A lady friend of mine owns the local bowling alley. She decided to replace
the fluorescent lights over the alleys with direct wire  4 foot LEDs. When
2/3 done and waiting for more bulbs she reported her electric bill went down
by $200.00 in the first month. The light inside is better than ever. She
figures on saving $300.00 per month when finished with the installation.
$3600 per year is a lot of scratch to save let alone the power saved. I am
thinking the heating bill will go up in the winter however. Here in the NW
natural gas heating is less expensive than electric heating. We will see how
this plays out. This has caused me to order some LEDs for my shop and
laboratory. I will report when they get here how much RFI I can measure from
them. At present I have Lights of America fixtures with F40 bulbs and I have
to turn them off when making low level signal measurements on the bench as
they are so bad with RFI from the BC band clear up to above 50 MHz.
Lee  K7TJR   OR