RFI

Re: [RFI] Quiet Switching Power Supply?

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Quiet Switching Power Supply?
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 18:06:13 +0000 (UTC)
The Icom PS-125 comes closest to noiseless that I have found, WHEN they are
working right. I have one that emits noise that can be received in places on
160 meters, yet another that is totally quiet. My QW tuned 160 meter vertical
loop (40' H x 16' V, about 120' circumference and fed differentially) is 25
feet away from the radio and power supply and AC wiring in the wall. The
antenna also 'cuts' across the underground AC mains to the house at about an 80
degree angle    This is on a small city lot.

The design of the PS-125 includes two commercial ferrite common mode chokes as
well as the usual 'line' caps on the AC input side.

de WB5WPA Jim