RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI turn out to be a New Solar Panel installed on Roof of Gara

To: "'Michael Aust'" <ava622@verizon.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI turn out to be a New Solar Panel installed on Roof of Garage 700 feet away from my QTH
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 12:37:12 +0000
If I had to guess you have two or more problems, or have misidentified one of
them.

Solar arrays normally make noise only when the sun is on them.  An exception to
this would be panels that charge batteries and then have an inverter that runs
either all the time or only when the power company is down... neither of them
would match a 12 hour on/off schedule, that is a sign of an indoor grow light
operation, then the increase to 18/6 hour schedule near harvest time.  And
neither solar panels nor grow lights would have data on the strong
interference... grow lights just don't have any, some solar systems do have
power line data but on mine that is down at 64khz and I would expect most other
micro inverters do something like that also.

My guess is that you have found the solar panel making some noise.  You also
have a new grow light in the area, maybe in the same house?? Maybe they put in
solar panels to cover the extra electric usage of the grow light.  What you are
thinking is data is probably the response of the switching power supplies for
either the solar panels or grow light to line voltage variations unless there
is some other plc system in the area.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373