RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI In My Shack

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI In My Shack
From: Joe <w7rkn.7@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 11:24:47 -0800
Thanks Mark!

As I said in another post:  OCFD with a 4:1 balun, the dipole fed with coax
(RG-8x)  (No twin lead anywhere in the system.  System ground with an 8 foot
copper surfaced rod, 10 feet from the amplifier.  That single ground strapping
goes directly to the simplifier, and from there, each piece of strapping, goes
directly to each piece of equipment used.  In this case, the exciter, and the
AT2K matching system.

I was asked in a previous post, How do I know there is no RF in the Shack…Years
ago, I built an RF detector that was in, I *believe* 73 magazine.  It has
served me well over the years and has a done a wonderful job of detecting RF in
shacks with a problem.  (You know, fillings buzzing and giving metallic tastes,
strange radio stations coming in, via the fillings, you know, stuff like that!
J  )

Joe – W7RKN

From: mrk.twg@gmail.com [mailto:mrk.twg@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Matthew King -
KK4CPS

Joe - how do you know you have "next to none!" RF in the shack?

If you have an OCFD that's not got a REAL current choke (no voltage baluns or
single core 4:1 baluns need apply here) then you have RF in the shack.  If you
are using a "Carolina windom" with a radiating vertical feedline with a balun
at the bottom, you have RF in the shack.

There's only one way to quantify it and that's with a meter. If you have a
conventional OCFD, add a substantial-CMI current choke to the feedpoint and
it'll probably end what common mode current is coming down into the shack. You
can build those for a few dollars. Check out K9YC's publications on the matter:

audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf
audiosystemsgroup.com/CoaxChokesPPT.pdf

You can check out Steve's chart and other information at:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/

If you have a "carolina windom" with a purposely radiating feedline (that's got
common mode current all over the outside of the coax by definition) then you
MIGHT be able to add a choke wherever the 4:1 balun is and choke of the current
going past the balun. You may have to move the radiating vertical element
further away from your shack somehow to eliminate it completely.

If you want to learn MUCH more about the OCFD antennas and their requirement
for substantial choking, check out: http://www.dj0ip.de/off-center-fed-dipole/

Ethernet, even CAT6, is quite susceptible to RF ingress. Are your CAT6 cables
properly terminated, with the shield correctly installed into the connectors?
If not, they're not really shielded. Decent factory cables should be OK, but
homemade cables are frequently lacking in this regard. Heck, even some of the
Motorola "shielded" cables that we got straight from Mama-M in Schaumburg, IL
when I worked at the nearby Motorola Service Center weren't properly
terminated, having the shield snipped off right at the connector, rather than
having the shield properly inserted and crimped into the connector. The use of
CAT5 connectors on CAT6 cable will do the same thing.

I encourage you to do some reading at the above links.

Good luck with it!

73

Matt

AK4MK