RFI

[RFI] Suggestions for linear 19 volt supply?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Suggestions for linear 19 volt supply?
From: W7SLS <w7sls.scott@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:34:34 -0700
Hello,

I’ve followed the recent threads, including the “replace switching supplies &
wall warts with linear ones”.

Agree, that’s (relatively) easy to do with 12 volt devices (linear supply,
battery, etc.).

What would you recommend for 19 volt items (laptops, intel NUC, monitors, other
devices), and distribution system for same?

        * Prefer battery backup (“float a 19 volt battery” or w/e)
        * Prefer to avoid fan noise (e.g., HP 6023A 20V/30A/200W is nice, but
too noisy)
        * Avoid the standard 12 volt power pole convention
        * Some (many?) laptop supplies sense the battery capacity to adjust
charge characteristics (3rd pin)
        * Probably other concerns to think about :)

A google search shows several that apparently confuse “in - line” (that is, not
inside the computer) with “linear” (as in, non-switcher).

My guess is that there are several (?) switchers inside the laptop, monitor,
NUC, so perhaps it is a low (or non-existent) ROI project?

Thanks,
Scott
W7SLS