RFI

Re: [RFI] FCC Complaint Filing

To: n8gls@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] FCC Complaint Filing
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:10:20 -0800
"I hate to spend the money but think I may need a Spectrum Analyzer. This is an RFI mess up here, these lights would be one of twenty interference issues. I have two other sources of broadband noise needing to be found, all the others are harmonics scattered up and down the band(s). The analyzer would be a help in sorting this all out as well as giving me some relevant and credible data"

It may not be that bad. Check into some of the Software Defined Radio dongles, which are inexpensive, and free software.

Look into RTL-SDR on ebay, amazon, and general info on the web. A relatively fancy unit is about $30 (fancier, better, et cetera go up to $$$$), and may be all that is needed to show noise vs. no noise, and the get a screen capture of the interference as heard, and within proximity of a source with a small antenna. It can also help locate a source when turned on, clear-ish screen vs. visual nightmare when something like the LEDs you mention get powered up.

For added affect, imagine a video recording device, pointing at a computer, or tablet, with an SDR, and software running showing a waterfall display, and the LEDs in the background, off, then at 1700h, when they come on, the cluster of noise scrolling down the screen. That would be pretty damning!

Some twenty plus years ago, we did it with a portable radio, Argo, Spectran, Spectrogram, , and similar, and either get the image in real time using a junk laptop, or record it for later analysis.

It doesn't have to be fancy, special, or expensive, just provide a visual interpretation.

Kurt