RFI

Re: [RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 20:38:16 -0600
From what I've understood form Ed Hare, "harmful interference" is defined on a case-bay-case basis. I don't think we want a hard and fast limit, to be honest. What works in one case may be a disaster in another.

Kim N5OP

On 12/28/2019 7:49 PM, Tony wrote:
All:

I made the mistake of hitting send without editing so I apologize for my previous post on radiated emission limits. As Ed Hare mentioned numerous times, there are no FCC limits on radiated emissions below 30 MHz.

What I meant to say was this:

Ed mentioned that the FCC had taken action based on harmful interference and I assumed it was based solely on the definition of interference and not how it was generated i.e, radiated or conducted. Hence, I asked how the FCC measures harmful interference.

This seems logical because the term harmful interference would be meaningless if the FCC only deems it as such if it's conducted and not radiated -- it's either harmful or it's not.

Or am I missing something?

Tony -K2MO

Actually, the?? FCC really hasn't given up on?? HF.?? What I have said is that there are no radiated emissions limits for unintentional emitters below 30 MHz. (There are conducted limits onto the AC mains.)?? But the FCC has sent out many dozens of?? advisory letters to operators of various devices on the basis of harmful interference.?? Now, they will set a higher threshold for?? harmful interference than we like, but the?? can and do take some (limited) action.?? ARRL has worked hard to keep this alive in the FCC, and?? so far, it has held.

The solar?? panels?? are unique. Their conducted emissions limits apply ONLY the ac mains, not other wires, so many of these systems that can and do cause interference do actually meet the laws about radiated and conducted limits. Solar Edge may be a bit slow, but they?? are responding and?? ARRL maintains regular contact with them. We have a?? few unresolved cases and we are planning a field trip?? to go take a?? look at?? them in person, hopefully with Solar Edge?? and Telsa also present.

Ed

, just CONDUCTED emissions, and that is only on the side that attaches to the power lines.
So say the panels, optimizers etc are radiating like mad, but the side of the inverter that hooks to the mains is clean. They meet part 15.

Hence the problem

--
73 de KG2V
Charlie