RFI

Re: [RFI] LED streetlights - Lumenistics

Subject: Re: [RFI] LED streetlights - Lumenistics
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 15:19:56 -0800
"I remember years ago when municipalities replaced incandescent traffic lights with LED lights to save money. They discovered that in winter the snow would cover and block the lights since they didn’t generate heat like their predecessors."

Another issue, both with LED traffic signals, and automotive lights, which personally bugs the crap out of me, is the hot/cold of just the weather alone causes the solder joints to fail quickly, and I see lamps with various blocks, chunks, stripes, et cetera where a section no longer illuminates.

One would have imagined this to be resolved in initial testing, but I still see it on a daily basis, after, what, some thirty years of technology evolution?

Kurt