RFI

Re: [RFI] 48v DC Clean Power Supply

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 48v DC Clean Power Supply
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:12:39 -0700
On 3/25/2020 11:40 AM, Jim McCook wrote:
Jim, thanks for the ideas.  I'll look through that NCJ article again. Addressing a possible common mode problem is a good idea.  That makes perfect sense.  Paul at ARRL thought so, too.  My real challenge will be getting this particular neighbor to cooperate, since he's basically hostile.  Paul also had a suggestion which was to look at EMI filters for this purpose at DX Engineering:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-10

Hi Jim,

I suspect that these boxes contain something approximating my recommendations, but who knows for what frequency range. Their virtue for you is that they are a simple "plug and play" approach that may be least likely to cause problems with your neighbor.

--which could be a solution, except for a the POE cable that powers a second similar switch in his office.  I have no real concern for 10 or 15m now, but this is a new, rebuilt house, so I want to nip this in the bud.  The longer I ignore the problem the harder it will be to deal with this guy.

An important point that RFI guru Henry Ott made to me many years ago is that both ends of a data circuit are potential RFI sources, so chokes are likely required at both ends of each cable. Also, I've seen very nasty RFI produced by POE.

73, Jim K9YC