RFI

Re: [RFI] Single stage HVAC with ECM

To: Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Single stage HVAC with ECM
From: Steve Dyer W1SRD via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 10:28:23 -0800
They are a much better matched to the airflow requirements of a well balanced HVAC system allowing for better humidity and consistent temperature control. It's not just about energy savings of the motor itself but of the whole system. Once we installed the new system, the house is quieter and more comfortable. So characterizing them as used just to meet federal energy standards doesn't really tell the whole story.
Enjoy the 890!
Steve
W1SRD

They are also more expensive and unreliable than PSC motors and probably will never pay for themselves in energy savings.  But they are designed to federal energy standards where cost to the consumer is of no consequence.

I recently had one fail in my heat pump.  After some heroic troubleshooting (if I do say so myself) I found a shorted winding in the motor and was able to pry the windings apart, clean off the carbon track and dab on some insulation.  I figured I saved $1K on a new motor and at least $1K in service charges.

Naturally, I used my $2K savings to purchase a $3K radio, a TS-890S.

Wes  N7WS