RFI

Re: [RFI] New Interference at kk0sd

To: Mike Martin <mike@rfiservices.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Interference at kk0sd
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:11:11 -0400
Hi Mike, Gary, and gang,

Well after seeing Garys shielded un-tuned loop, I watched the video on how
to build that loop.  I just built one almost identical to his loop but used
RG-58 coax since that's what I had on hand.  I also spent 10 seconds
building a simple 1 turn 9 inch loop (no form, just free standing) for
comparisons which is even smaller than Garys loop, and I can tell you there
is no comparison.  Without doing any impedance matching, the 9 inch
un-tuned single turn loop I built has a gain that is approximately 23 dB
greater than Garys loop when tested in the AM broadcast band and it still
exhibits nice nulls which comes as no surprise.  My single turn non
shielded loop just has about 6 inches of twisted wire (the same wire that
forms the loop) to form the feedline to it, and then I just used a 3 foot
piece of 50 ohm coax to connect it to my receiver.  I used the same 3 foot
piece of coax to connect the shielded un-tuned loop to the receiver.  While
my un-tuned 9 inch loop might not be as well balanced (one null might be
deeper than the opposite null), it makes one fine DF antenna in a pinch.
Also if Gary needs more gain he can just make the loop I made bigger in
diameter.  It really just takes seconds to make this antenna (much less
than a minute).

I now fully understand why Gary can't hear his noise, as his un-tuned
shielded loop has very poor sensitivity based on my trying to copy the
design.  While I normally use preamps with my DF loops, Garys RFI is so
strong that I'm pretty darn sure he can make a simple one turn loop to
figure out what possible directions the signal is coming from.  Something I
have done in the past is to use a cardboard box as the antenna form as it
does not have to be round.  Need to figure out what directions the signal
is coming from before leaving his property if at all possible.

Just my opinion, and I will try and post some comparison videos but they
will not be pretty as I'm buried in other tasks.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)