RFI

Re: [RFI] UV vs IR binoculars for arc's on utility poles

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>, Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] UV vs IR binoculars for arc's on utility poles
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:47:31 +0000 (UTC)
"Corona effect camera in the energy industry"

https://www.amperis.com/en/resources/articles/corona-effect-camera-energy-industry/

Partial excerpt from above:

The corona effect detection is being used as a diagnostic tool to control
critical
components in an electrical network. By using a highly sensitive ultraviolet
radiation camera such as Amperis CoroCAM, corona and ultraviolet radiation
can be recorded to evaluate the state of a device. Failures in high voltage
equipment carry a very high risk so preventive maintenance saves high costs.

Partial discharges may also occur due to structural defects or problems in the
insulation. When partial discharge and corona phenomena occur, large amounts
of ultraviolet radiation are triggered, indicating the conditions of the
isolation
of the operating equipment and the detection of defects. The optical method
is clearly the most suitable diagnostic method of discharge and the one that
offers the greatest sensitivity and resolution in all conditions.

The corona effect in a high voltage equipment in the initial stage of discharge
is not continuous, but fleeting. CoroCAM ultraviolet image cameras allow
the observation of the corona with two modes: real time monitoring and
integrated mode, which shows and retains the amount of ultraviolet photons
in a certain time and area (the region can be adjusted) on the screen, and it is
updated in real time.

During the PD process, the nitrogen molecules in the air are excited and emit
ultraviolet radiation, generally in the wavelength range of 200-405 nm.

----

de AA5CT Jim

---------------------------

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 2:03:47 PM GMT-5, Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
wrote:

Does everyone agree with this, that UV vision will work better than IR
for possibly seeing tiny arc's on utility poles?

There are a lot of options out there, in a consumer price range, for IR
such as the Creative Night Owl binocular/camera for 189 bucks targeted
to mainly hunters. But for UV binoculars it seems more limited. There
are binoculars that specify UV and not pricey at all but few that have a
camera. Don't really need a camera but would be neat for my webpage :-).

My main source is still gone and fairly high confidence that it is
repaired. But a much weaker intermittent source remains and at this time

think its on the same pole. If I cannot see it also with my current
binoculars may consider one of the above.

73

Chuck
AF4O

Update webpage;