RFI

Re: [RFI] DFing intermittent connection

To: Tim Duffy <k3lr@k3lr.com>, 'K9MA' <k9ma@sdellington.us>, 'Eddie Edwards' <eddieedwards@centurylink.net>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, James Gordon Beattie Jr <w2ttt@att.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DFing intermittent connection
From: James Gordon Beattie Jr <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 05:02:10 +0000
Tim, et al,
So here's a question about bonding and grounding.
Parts of the described system are done, and others need to get done -
correctly, hence my questions.

10x16 ft ham shack structure with a Rohn 45 thirty feet away from the entrance
panels.  Ring ground will loop around both.  Ground rods are 8 ft copper clad
steel no more than 7 ft apart.  There are nine additional 4 ft ground rods
(three lines of three) spaced 3.5 ft apart extending from each of the three
legs.  The ground rods are to be bonded together using bare #6 copper wire and
fastened using acorn nuts.  The bare #6 copper wire ring is going to be only
about four inches below tbe soil except at the ground rods.  Tbe acorn nuts
will rewuire

The lightning arrestors are in a stainless steel flat cabinet six inches above
the ground with the base plate directly attached to the ring behind the shack
so as to minimize ground resistance at the arrestors.   The antenna, network
and control cables leave the arrestor box located on the ground ring and then
are jumpered up onto the antenna/network/control cable entrance bulkhead
connectors on the entrance plate.  This entrance plate is six feet away from
the power entrance panel.   Both the power entrance panel and the
antenna/network/control entrance plate have their own pience of insulated #6
copper wire connected to the ring ground.  There is also a 2x2 inch piece of
aluminum angle connecting the power and antenna/network/control entrance panel
on the inside of the shack wall that also provides the single point ground for
equipment.

A few other notes: There is a Siemens surge protector on the outdoor 200A meter
panel.  The 100A shack subpanel is ten feet away.  Should I include the 200A
xmain service ground in the ground ring?

Further, is there any benefit to adding a second surge protector on the shack
subpanel?  I have one available.

Finally, I have some two inch copper that I bought from DX Engineering in a 25
ft roll.  It's a Georgia Copper product.  Given your concerns about bare
copper, should this be used only inside the shack?

OK, so have at it...

Vy 73,
Gordon Beattie,  W2TTT
201.314.6964