RFI

Re: [RFI] ft240 Designation

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ft240 Designation
From: Wes Stewart via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 22:37:48 +0000 (UTC)
 For the life of me I don't understand this heartburn you have for Amidon.
Everyone has a price markup or they would be out of business.
I bought small qualities of toroids in Amidon's garage when I was traveling on
business from Hughes in Tucson to Hughes in Conoga Park about 1980-81.  Mouser
and DigiKey were also just starting out so there were few (or no) places to buy
these parts in single lot qualities.  So he had to speculate, buy in quantity,
inventory and store, bag and tag individual parts.  So he made a buck.
As a little aside, before going into engineering I had a stint in the
automotive parts and machine shop business, which was my dad's trade.  We
worked for the largest parts company in AZ, which also happened to be a United
Delco (GM) warehouse distributor, handling AC, Delco-Remy, Rochester, Harrison,
etc. We sold to other parts houses (stocking distributors), garages, service
stations, industrial and retail customers.  Each of these categories had its
own price in increasing order.  An AC spark plug cost us about 18 cents.  If a
foolish enough retail customer walked in the door his price was $1.08.  A six
times markup,
Where is the problem?
Wes N7WS

    On Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 01:48:27 PM MST, Jim Brown
<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On 11/10/2021 12:01 PM, Chuck Gooden wrote:
> Could someone explain where the FT240-31 designation for ferrites came
> from.

The FT240 designation came from Richard Amidon, so that his company
could re-sell parts that Fair-Rite manufactured at exorbitant markups
(like 5X their cost). The real part numbers of the most parts most
useful to hams are here.
k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and at https://www.fair-rite.com/

Fair-Rite is a family-owned US company with manufacturing both in the US
and their own factory in China.

73, Jim K9YC