RFI

Re: [RFI] Furnace RFI - Lennox - Resolved

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Furnace RFI - Lennox - Resolved
From: Gary <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:48:30 +0000
Good Job Alan!

Thanks for the update.

73,
Joe kk0sd

-----Original Message-----
From: RFI <rfi-bounces+gary_mayfield=hotmail.com@contesting.com> On Behalf Of
Alan Higbie
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 1:13 PM
To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Furnace RFI - Lennox - Resolved

I just had a successful outcome with RFI from a new Lennox furnace we installed
3 weeks ago.  It is a Lennox SLP99UHV gas furnace.

When running, it generated noise which was *8 dB* up from the previously
measured 80 meter noise floor.  Similar on 7 MHz - but not much on higher bands.

The furnace has a wi-fi enabled thermostat control (Smart Hub) which lets me
turn the furnace on and off with an iPhone app while sitting at the rig
watching the noise floor of the P3 / SVGA display.

With help from RFI reflector and deep research on the manufacturer's website -
I found that Lennox has an EMI Filter Kit *604552-1*.  The "kit"
was back ordered through the manufacturer - but the parts were readily
available from Mouser.

The kit is also called a "Line Suppression Kit."
Here is link:
https://www.lennoxpros.com/604552-01-kit---line-suppression/p/54W22

Kit consists of a CorCom 12EP1 AC line filter, wires, connectors and some
snap-on chokes.  Plus, we added shielded thermostat wire.

Lennox has instructions for installing the kit.  The instruction sheet (2
pages) was difficult to locate, but for reference it is numbered *507153-01
*and titled *"Installation Instructions for Electromagnetic Interference Kit
(604552-01) For Use with 90% Efficiency Modulating and Variable Capacity
Furnaces." *

Fixes installed:
1. Installed AC line filter - mounted inside the furnace - directly on the
blower housing (using self tapping screws) 2. Replaced existing unshielded
thermostat wiring (approx. 40 feet long) with SHIELDED CABLE.
3. Placed #31 toroids (with 5 turns) close to the ends of the thermostat cable.
4. Place #31 snap-on ferrite on wire coming from the supply junction box.

This furnace had been newly installed - so I used the original authorized
installer.  This will avoid potential warranty issues down the road.

Results:
Furnace RFI now completely gone - and noise floor back to where it was.
Now it makes no difference if this furnace is operating or not.

Also, this was the first time I used the WD8DSB Breaker Panel Sniffer method.
Before installing the furnace fix, I followed 'DSB's method shown on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDB8rAwVt5Y&t=146s

Double-blind research: Closed both my eyes and slowly moved the loop up and
down the panel until I heard high noise on a portable shortwave receiver
(Tecsun PL660).  Then I opened both eyes and read the breaker's label:
"Furnace."   After the furnace fixes - I repeated the Panel Sniffer Test:
and now, absolutely no RFI at the panel.

Thanks to all who have contributed knowledge and experiences re: furnace RFI
here on the reflector and the ARRL RFI pages.

73, Alan K0AV