RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 00:07:29 -0700
You said "We already have specific emissions values, I just suggest lower.", but I don't believe there are radiated emission limits below 30 MHz, just conducted emission limits below 30 MHz in the US.  If you introduce radiated emission limits in the FCC rules for frequencies below 30 MHz then you do in fact risk overriding the protection we have with the current "harmful interference" stipulation.

I see a multitude of issues, that I think should be addressed separately.

One, radiated emissions. As Ed pointed out several months ago, the standards were developed in the 50's, and haven't been revised to follow real-world conditions, having become mostly irrelevant by the 70's, leaving us with the current reality.

Petition to review, and revise. Don't make it complex, find a way to parallel the standards with old/new technology. Receivers may be 1,000 times more sensitive than they were 70 years ago. It stands to reason, to stay on track, the emission limits should be 1,000 times less. Explain that this just keeps in step with 1950's standards, everything being relatively the same, as one thing goes up, the other should go down.

Second, and separately, conducted emissions. Not measured below 30 MHz. As we've known pretty much forever, conducted at times becomes radiated, with affects sometimes reaching miles. I once found an arc on a power line affecting 18 square miles. Seems likes an issue.

Petition for radiated emissions to extend below 30 MHz, make them adequately low, and:

As we've noted across possibly thousands of posts in this forum alone, adding a few components to equipment to prevent conducted energy, that may ultimately radiate, is in the range of pennies, to tens of cents, maybe a few bucks- retail. Even $20 CorCom filters are pocket change in bulk, and to us, usually free as scrap, so not a major expense to resolve an issue, industry can't really complain, validly. Nobody is going to skip buying a $1,000 washing machine due to a $2 hidden component cost.

Petition to limit conducted emissions, and make them very low, as well, beneficial side-affect, severely limited radiated emissions, if any.

Harmful Interference rules/regs/stipulations, what-have-you. Unrelated to above, yet based upon, and affected by above. Don't combine this with anything, it's a good catch all, and works when everything else fails, for example, most everything we have now, and any revisions that aren't adequate the first time. Leave it in place, don't go out of the way to mess this up as addressing anything else, has no reason to affect this.

Kurt