RFI

Re: [RFI] Trying to avoid Solar RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Trying to avoid Solar RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:19:47 -0800
On 12/16/2022 12:45 PM, James Gordon Beattie Jr wrote:

Thoughts?

Several. Because charge current regulators control the width of a train of square waves, it's critical that all DC wiring be twisted pair, with no interruptions of the twisting where panels and batteries are connected. That DC circuit is 100% modulated by that wave train, so it must be viewed as RF, not DC. Just as Elecraft shapes its CW keying to optimize readability while minimizing clicks, charging waveforms must be optimized for efficiency and to minimize RF noise. N6KR describes what he's doing as a "sigmoidal" or raised cosine shape. Wayne first did that for the K3; Flex subsequently adopted it after ARRL tests of their 6500 series rigs showed rather wide clicks.

You're right to run the system at the highest practical voltage, which proportionally reduces the current. RF noise is proportional to the square of current. It's also good practice to insert effective common mode chokes in that wiring. The winding guidelines for parallel wire transmitting chokes are a good starting point. The second link for VHF/UHF coax chokes can be used as a starting point for parallel wire chokes.

http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf
http://k9yc.com/ChokesVHF.pdf

Proper bonding of everything on the AC side is critical, and twisted pair should be used for the current-carrying conductors as well.

With respect to the well -- starting current for the motor is probably the most demanding spec. My 6kVA Honda inverter generator won't run mine, which is on a 100 ft well.

I've seen a few reports that Tesla battery systems are RF quiet. My Model 3 is quiet both driving and charging at home -- I have VHF/UHF running in mine, and I've seen reports from others that HF is relatively quiet as well. Unfortunately it doesn't run in the family -- electronics for my Starlink system required extensive choking to cool off.

73, Jim K9YC