RFI

Re: [RFI] Trying to avoid Solar RFI

To: James Gordon Beattie Jr <w2ttt@att.net>, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Trying to avoid Solar RFI
From: Michael Carter <Mike.Carter@unh.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:46:54 +0000
Hi Gordie,

I advise separating the decision about your
PV array DC bus voltage from the decision
about the battery bank bus voltage.  The
Trina PV modules you acquired have an
open-circuit voltage of 37 V - the maximum
power point voltage is 29 V, but the true
maximum power point of any PV module
varies over the course of the day as the
illumination angle changes.  Unless you
plan to add microinverters or optimizers
to each module, you should consider a
high array DC bus voltage  consistent
with the allowable input voltage of the
battery charge controller you select.

On the well pump question: at the well
depth you cite, a typical pump size is
½ hp (assuming 240 VAC pump) and
8 A running current.  Starting current
is typically 80% higher or about 14-15 A.
You should check your well pump
to see what type it might be (e.g. capacitor
start).

You'll also want to consider peak current
demand on your battery bank if the
well pump, freezer compressors, and
refrigerator compressors all decide
to start up concurrently (unlikely, and
your circuit breaker may not trip
even if they do conspire against you),
but your inverter may not deliver that
peak current unless sized for it.

The configuration of PV modules into
an array with desired array bus voltage
and combined module string currents needs
to account for both the battery charge
controller input voltage and current
ranges if you're going to draw all power
from the battery bank/inverter.

Jim, K9YC has commented elsewhere
on preferred battery charge controllers
that are (mostly) RFI-quiet or can be