TopBand: spurs, etc. and OMNI VI

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: spurs, etc. and OMNI VI
From: 104117.3104@compuserve.com (Robert g. Flory)
Date: 10 Dec 96 08:41:17 EST
Hello Topbanders,

Spurred on by the discussion of unwanted emissions on TOPBAND, I wanted to make
an observation on the OMNI VI to see if my experience was typical.

I used an OMNI VI at N2RM in CQWW CW on 80m.  I was excited because I had heard
good things about it's lack of phase noise and intermod.  I'll have to say that
whatever advantage offered by its design was compensated for by an annoying
amount of CW filter leakage.  Has anyone else observed this or was I maybe using
a lemon?

My favorite RX is still the Drake R4C with the Sherwood 600Hz 1st IF filter, and
modified AGC.  The signal is either in the passband or it isn't there.   Of the
modern rigs the FT-1000D has great selectivity but I have noticed a bit of
intermod, not enough to be very annoying.

73, Rob K2WI