TopBand: Proximity to Trees

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Proximity to Trees
From: hwardsil@wolfenet.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 07:24:29 -0800 (PST)
Aside from bad puns about trunk lines and branch circuits...

My inverted-L relies on a stout redwood (these aren't trees, they're
wooden pyramids) to support the vertical wire.  At the feed point, the
wire, coax, and radials are within 6" of the tree.  What is the wisdom of
this august body (even if it *is* December) about the RF-absorbing
properties of trees at 160-meters?  I'm going to pull the feedpoint a
little farther away from the tree, but it will still be a tiny fraction of
a wavelength away.

73, Ward N0AX