TopBand: Proximity to Trees

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Proximity to Trees
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:40:09 EST
Many years ago W7EL wrote a comment about tree sucking RF; he thought it
was important but never followed thru with a study that I am aware of.
Dont confuse with Tree Hugging Wackos.

My own expeiments on 80M in 1983 showed that  I had to have the vertical
wire at least 6'  from a pine tree trunk in order to obtain reasonance at
the "predicted" length.  The final result was a 6 wire cage hung at the
limit I could safely support with a 10'  RS mast strapped to a branch.
Results were good enough to prompt me to hang a second cage from another
pine with 1/4 wave antenna spacing. The DX performance was outstanding
and it was the antenna I used to set the multiplier record as a 80M
single band entry in ARRL DX CW  in 1985 or 86. Forget the year but W1FV
beat me on Q's !!  I believe that record may still hold.

In any case I used those tree verticals to cfm about 260 DXCC on 80M
before moving across town in 1990.

I cant speak for redwoods, etc  but I will warrant a guess that the tree
absorbtion becomes a small percentage after about 6' or so on 80M.
Double that  or halve it on 160???   Maybe W3LPL  or others with access
to the higher levels of NEC can provide a hint.