Topband: Re: Using an MFJ1026

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Using an MFJ1026
From: tduffy@sygnet.com (Tim Duffy)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 23:05:10 -0500
We use the MFJ1025 here on 160 (the 1025 does not have the pull up
antenna). The 1025 needs a noise antenna (like your vertical). It will
work VERY well. The 1026 pull up antenna is meant for very local noise
and may not give the best results.
As W8JI taught me, I peak the noise that I want to reject using the
front panel controls, then push the 180 degree switch and I am in the
perfect null.
Another way Tom explained was to use the 1025 to null the desired
stations (Europeans) and then push the 180 switch. Now you are on the
perfect peak.

I think the phasing and canceling affects are very good for squeezing
the smallest signals out of the noise.

The ANC4 and SEM noise canceling units did not work at all for me.

73,
Tim K3LR