Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 18:32:00 -0800
Larry, W7IUV wrote:

"However, you (NM7M) (and maybe W4ZV) are going to have to work a lot
harder to get me to believe the difference between JA and EU from this
QTH can be completely explained by auroral effects."
==========
The distance from me to EU and JA is about equal, but propagation to EU
seldom happens and to JA the path is open almost every night, and with
strong signals.

I've always attributed this to two things (for my southern California
QTH):

1) Toward JA is mostly over sea water and to EU is mostly over land.

2) Toward JA totally avoids the auroral zone and to EU the path goes
through it.

West coasters cherish any topband QSOs with EU, and I'm sure that most EU
topbanders feel likewise when they QSO W6 or W7.  It's like working rare
DX!

73, de Earl, K6SE