Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 08:17:20 -0500
Hi Greg,

I can't imagine the weather having anything to do with it, except as
it affects noise level.

> I want to believe there is a good scientific
> explanation for predicting conditions but the best
> indicator I have this year is my weather. It has been
> almost 100% accurate for predicting good conditions to
> JA- good Wx, good conditions.  So I predict a good EU
> opening for me when my area gets to 60F. Everything
> else I have been looking at for predictions this year
> has been ambiguous.

I find the same thing about the A and K index. Many of the days
with what should be good numbers are real poor, and some of the
worse looking numbers have been the best days.

Even the Aurora number seems to be meaningless for the most
part.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com