Topband: XR0X on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XR0X on 160
From: n9en@voyager.net (N9EN@VOYAGER.NET)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 06:07:17 -0600
For the past few mornings, I have been trying in vain to
hear XR0X well enough on 160 meters to work them.
This morning at around 1100Z, I could copy some of the
calls & the reports of the ststions that they were coming
back to.

I only use a delta loop for both xmit & rcv and have a
severe power line noise on all bands, from 10 meters
through 160. It is the worst on 160; continuous S9
noise on that band. Because of this power line noise, I
have not been able to copy the XR0X station.

Our electrical utility, Commonwealth Edison, only seems
too happy to take my money every month but they seem
unable to find any problems with their equipment near my
house. I can take a portable AM radio and walk through
my yard and over to a utility pole on the other side of the
road and when I do this, the noise that the radio is pick-
ing up gets noticeably louder.

But ComEd, with all of their "high-tech" equipment, and
their "re-COMmittED" workforce, seem unable (or more
accurately, unwilling) to do anything about the noise pro-
blem that their power lines are producing.

I have lived at this QTH since 1985 and in years past,
when I would have a line noise problem, ComEd was
quick to come out here and with very un-sophisticated
equipment, they would find the problem and make the
repair. That would be the end of it. Those days seem to
be long gone.

I hope other Topband DX'ers have better experiences
with their electric utilities!

73 de Brad, N9EN