Topband: ARRL 160 contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160 contest
From: jcclark@prexar.com (Craig Clark)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:54:53 -0500
Gentleman:

Pete's question was not specifically about the window. Let's not mix messages.

It was abt a lack of DX activity.

There has never been a compelling reason for DX stations to participate in
this contest as no dx to dx allowed.

When condx are good, DX comes out in droves. When condx are poor, they blow
it off.

For all intents, the ARRL 160 test is a 160 domestic sweepstakes.

IMHO, to "win" this contest, you have to CQ. S and P doesn't work to build
a big score.

With regards to the window, the problem is DX stations don't QSX OUT of it
like we did in the "old days."

There are two solutions to this "problem."

1)      Forget the window
2)      Try to educate DX stations to QSX up or down the band.

Before the band was opened up, there were LORAN stations, power limits and
very restrictive band plans. Also the equipment was not as good as it is
today. You had to work split to hear and work DX. Today with packet and
fully featured radios, nearly anyone can put a signal out on 160 and jump
on a packet spot.

Wait for the CQ Test to work DX on 160. Remember the stink that was raised
when ARRL changed the rules for their WW DX contest? Unless there is a
rules change, ARRL 160 is a sweepstakes, nothing more, nothing less. If you
work DX, fine.