Topband: ARRL 160 contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160 contest
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:56:44 -0500
At 08:54 AM 12/10/02 -0500, Craig Clark wrote:
>Gentleman:
>
>Pete's question was not specifically about the window. Let's not mix messages.
>
>It was abt a lack of DX activity.
>
>There has never been a compelling reason for DX stations to participate in
>this contest as no dx to dx allowed.
>
>When condx are good, DX comes out in droves. When condx are poor, they blow
>it off.

Actually, I was kinda asking both questions.  I think the underlying
thought may have been "maybe I didn't hear more DX because the DX window
seemed to be nonexistent.

Jeff's message about the DX window having been removed from the 160
bandplan raises another question -- was this done because ARRL decided DX
windows weren't appropriate in bandplans, or was there some other
reason?  I notice the 3790-3800 window doesn't show up either, but it seems
to be generally respected.

Please, I'm not trying to restart the debate about the merits of either the
bandplans or the dx windows -- just curious about why things changed.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower