RE: Topband: T loaded vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: T loaded vertical
From: "Tod - Idaho" <tao@skypoint.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:03:30 -0500
Just being a bit defensive, probably without need, I would like to assure
the folks commenting on this topic that I did intend to say 'feed point
impedance' and did not mean 'radiation resistance' in my previous comments.
As Earl says, "..let's not get that (feed point impedance) mixed up with the
radiation resistance of the antenna."

I know that in one post I wrote that I had measured about 12-14 ohms R at
the base of an antenna --- that is not (I don't believe it to be at least)
the radiation resistance of the antenna which I estimated to be closer to
2-4 ohms on 160 meters. It is simply the Resistive part of the Impedance I
was going to have to 'adjust' by a matching network to something closer to
50 ohms before sending it off to my station.

Tom, Earl and others have pointed out in different writings the fact that
the resistance of the ground system is added to the radiation resistance of
the antenna and that will determine the resistance in the measurements made
at the feed point. The radiation resistance of a vertical antenna is a
function of vertical wire length, diameter, top loading, etc.

All this stuff is in the ARRL antenna book (to some degree) and in ON4UN's
Low Band DXing book (to a large measure)--- but sometime requires careful
reading followed by a period (often long) of contemplation.

Tod, KOTO