Re: Topband: DX window

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX window
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:41:02 -0600
Craig,

I posted before reading K1GUN's post, so I take back point #2 from my response to you.

I'm not sure if we are disagreeing about anything, although I have never found the DX window 1830-35 to be useless, regardless of how crowded it is. Stations there come and go, and one or two don't clog it up for very long. I don't know if you have ever operated a 160 contest from the midwest, but hearing even the big gun DXers among the 20+ CQers is plenty tough. Hearing the little pistols is nearly impossible. With the window, those of us who are not near the east coast can tell if the band is open for DX, and can work a few stations there. Inertia from the previous "band plan/gentlemen's agreement/contest sponsor recommendations" has kept the old window relatively free of NA CQ'ers up until now, but that is changing. If the window dies out completely from neglect, a lot of the fun of the 160 contests will be gone for many of us.

I believe there is wide support to have some sort of window. DX likes the concept as much as us fly-over types. Keeping the old window is simply the path of least resistance. If it were included in contest rules as a recommendation like it used to be, the new 160 ops would learn and comply just like we all did. I think much of the debate on the subject is in the realm of, "letting the perfect be the enemy of the good."

73,

Ron - WA9IRV